Thursday, August 2, 2012

Back on The Juice


I cleaned my coffee maker last night in preparation for starting my new, "going-back-to-work" resolutions this morning.  I feel like I'm a college kid again, getting ready to go back to school after a busy summer - except - much to my inner-child's chagrin, I don't have a good reason to buy school supplies this fall.  Bummer.  I can't wait for Reagan to start school so we can do the annual Wal-Mart school supply run together...if we're feeling adventurous, maybe we'll even go on tax-free weekend.  Oh man, the excitement is brewing already.

Anyway, I have a whole slew of new resolutions in anticipation of going back to work.  Just a couple of days ago, I was talking to my mom about how I'm feeling a little bored, how I'm ready to be doing something more, to which she replied "oh man, I was bored way sooner than you are.  I'm really impressed, honey, I figured you'd get tired of this stay-at-home-mommy thing a lot earlier than you did."

In reality, I'm not tired of it at all.  But thanks, mom, I didn't realize how boring the early days of my life were for you (just kidding, I know they were the best days you've ever had).  Quite the contrary, if I could strap Reagan to my back like a little injun and tote her to work with me every day, I absolutely would.  I'm sure someone could give her a pacifier if she fussed while I was doing surgery with her hanging around on my back.  Maintaining sterility wouldn't be that hard, surely.

Well, I guess all my dreams for our lives once I go back to work can't come true, but some of them can, and I've been working on them this week.  I'm going to post a list so you can know and be my accountability partner.

First, I plan to get up when ARay does (around or before 6 am) and get the house straightened up and do my "housewife chores" before Little Miss even wakes up.  Today, I was spared the trouble of my alarm going off because Little Miss was rearing to go at 2am.  I don't think she slept more than 45 minutes straight from 2 until 6...and incidentally, neither did I.  Thankfully, the timer was set on the coffee pot and the gorgeous smell of my hazelnut brew staved off most of the grumpiness.  Did you know, according to recent Alzheimer's research, adults should get no more and no less than 7 hours of sleep a night?  Getting any more/less increases your chances of getting the disease later in life, so my new resolution may save me from a terrible fate when I'm older.  Unfortunately, I'm accustomed to 8-9 hours of sleep in a row...fortunately though, Reagan has been working toward a 7-8 hour night for a few weeks now, so I'm going to consider last night an outlier and look forward to tomorrow.

Second, I am doing to start making to-do lists again.  In college, I stuck to these with alarming tenacity.  I even kept a ledger and balanced my checkbook religiously every night.  Woah.  It's time to get back the organization I lost the second I stepped onto the Vet School campus.  I started a new list when Reagan and I came home from the hospital and, perhaps unsurprisingly, it contained all the projects I hadn't accomplished in the 2 years I've been living here already.  Again, unsurprisingly, those projects didn't quite get finished in my time at home as a new mother (who had just had abdominal surgery), either.  Oh well.  There's always room on August's list.


Third.  I'm going to plan our family suppers ahead so I can spend less time at the grocery store/cooking and more time with ARay and LittleRea.  This means I'm actually going to go through the grocery store fliers on the weekend and go shopping weekly instead of grabbing something to fix on my way home from work every day.  This is something I've never done, and it's going to be interesting to see what kind of plan-ahead meals I come up with.  Ideally, I'd like to have dinner prep started in the mornings when I'm up at the butt-crack of dawn.

Fourth.  We're going to take loads of pictures of Little One.  My mom never did this (she never had the benefit of a digital camera, either) and these memories are ones I don't want Reagan to miss out on.  Photodocumentation is such a gift.

Haha.  We like to take pictures of Reagan when she's doing something she'll be embarrassed of when she's older.  First nose pick, 7/31/12.
Fifth (and most ambitious)!  I'm going to start exercising again.  Back in college (this seems to be the a recurring theme - I was super-busy in college, but apparently I had my act together) I would go for a run daily, somewhere between a 3 and 5 miler.  I wasn't training for anything, or trying to impress anyone with my jogging skills, I was just trying to keep my body and my heart healthy.  Unfortunately, my bum knee, getting older (and more arthritic) and going to medical school crapped on my dreams of ideal physical fitness.  SO!  I'm going to spend some quality time with Reagan in a jogger while I trudge up these mountainous roads or on the back of my bike while pedaling hard on the parkway and do something good for me that will make me feel good.  There.  It's in print (sortof) and other people know about it, so now I'm going to do it, for realz.

Phew.  I think those five resolutions are enough for anybody, so I'm going to stop there and get going on some of them.  I can't wait to launch myself into the exhausting and what I'm sure will be the uber-rewarding task of being Dr. Mom/Wife.

Ready, set. Go!

Look at those cheeks!  When she sleeps, I swear she looks just like ARay.

When she's smiling, I can't help but imagine she looks just like me. :)

4 comments:

  1. You go girl! I'm proud of you. Lists give us direction and by golly, I sure do love crossing them off! She is precious. Keep those pictures coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Michelle you're so funny! I love reading your blog and are happy that they include pics of that sweet girl. :) I think she DOES look a little like you smiling! Good luck with those lists, and good luck as you go back to work! I know it will be hard not having little Reagan on your back to keep you entertained during surgeries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the pictures! :) and the resolutions. i think grocery-list-making and meal planning will come easy to a list-maker like you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is the perfect little combination of BOTH of you guys! And yes, I can attest to you having your act together in college. Quite true words. If anyone can be Dr. Mom/Wife, it's you friend!

    ReplyDelete