Tuesday, July 24, 2012

10:44pm

So, I've told you our birth story, but what I can't explain to you is what comes immediately after - the thing every other mother in the world already knows - that split second, the instant your baby is born, the rush of feeling and sudden understanding of rightness in  your soul; that yes, this is the person you were destined to love for as long as you have breath.  I don't know if fathers feel the same thing, but even if they do, I'm sure it's not something they could explain either.

I didn't know I could have two soulmates.


 Today, right now, I can't believe how quickly the past eight weeks have gone by.  Even more, I can't believe how much our baby has grown.  It's baffling to me that she doesn't spend weeks and weeks as the tiny little helpless thing she was on that delightful day she was born...our adorable little girl is fast becoming her own person, and it is fantastic.  I can't wait for the days and months and years to keep coming so I can watch her become more of herself, but, oh Lord, it's going to be hard to let her grow up and not be able to cuddle her close and meet every single one of her needs forever.
 
But for today, I am going to savor every second of cuddle time with my Reagan and her squeaky little post-bath laughs and remind her that she is so loved.



2 comments:

  1. Precious! So glad you are having so much fun! Love the picture of Dad and daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My eyes are burning with tears. I love this, friend. It brings me such joy, as your friend and as an L&D nurse to know that this little one will be forever hearing she is loved. I deliver so many that won't be in that same position, whose ears will be longing to hear those words. Thank you, dear Michelle, for being you and sharing your experience with us. :)

    ReplyDelete