Thursday, October 20, 2011

The medical professionals...

So, for the record, I'm not the only one who attracts the crazies that come in to our office.  Last week, Karen (the newest addition to the team!), came up to me, barely able to contain herself after hearing this one:


New client:  "I have a question.  How can I learn how to spay and neuter dogs and cats?  Can I be trained for that here?"

Dr. W:  "I'm sorry, what do you mean?"

New client:  "You know, spaying and neutering.  I would like to learn.  I mean, you don't have to be a veterinarian to do that, right?  I can't imagine something like that requires a license."

Dr. W:  "Actually, yes, you do have to be a doctor in order to perform those procedures.  As a matter of fact, both spaying and neutering are complicated surgical procedures that can only be performed by veterinarians."

New client:  "Oh well that's just a shame.  There are some really talented people out there who could do things like that for free, since there's such a need and all.  I'm a RN.  I feel confident that I could perform those procedures."

Dr. W:  "Hmm.  Well that's nice.  Ok, is there anything else Fluffy needs while she's here today?   No?  Ok,  Megan will check you out up front, thanks!"


And also for the record, I know several RNs and other medical professionals that would never assume such a thing, but...as a general rule, the medical professionals are the worst clients.  I do my very best to be a patient when I'm my doctor's office, but people hardly ever extend the same courtesy to us, as veterinarians.   

What's that saying again?  Oh yes, "A doctor who treats himself has a fool for a patient."

No comments:

Post a Comment