Thursday, August 4, 2011

The angry side...

Tonight, I am tired. 

When I get overly tired, I get mad. 

When I'm mad and overly tired, I cry.

Just ask my husband.  He's seen this happen.

Tonight, I came close to crying several times.  First of all, I am excruciatingly close to my day off, and with all my heart, I wish today was Friday...because that would mean that my three day weekend was already here and that I'm no longer on call.

Second of all, this evening started with several emergency visits at the office before I even left for the day.  I walked out the door at 7 pm with a spring in my step, feeling that I had gotten all the emergencies out of the way and that I was going to get some rest tonight.

Well, I was wrong.  My nightmare call came at 9:30 pm when a park ranger from Grayson Highlands National Park called and wanted me to come out to the park (an hour and thirty minutes from my house) and see to a horse that was stuck in a culvert and cut up and bleeding badly.  For those of you who know me, my directional skills in daylight in an area I know well are not stellar.  Try my directional skills in the dark, in a park, which I've never visited before..not so great. 

Also, you who know me, know that I do not enjoy horses.

There, I said it.  Now everyone knows.  On my way to the park, I was asking the Lord why we still need horses today, since we have cars and all.  I mean, horses are continually trying to kill themselves and rid us of the bane of their existance, but people keep calling me and trying to get me to keep them alive anyway.

Ok, so I'm (mostly) kidding.  I don't wish they all would dissapear.  I just wish I could admire them from afar.

So, I sewed up the horse.  It gets to go back to Tennessee tomorrow and become someone elses problem.  Hallelujah. 

But then, a HBC call comes in (that's veterinary code for "hit by car", just in case you were wondering).  So I trek my barely-able-to-keep-my-eyes-open self back over to the clinic at 12:30 am.  The dog's face is easily peel-back-able and I can see it trying to breathe without it's nose attached.

Bloody mess.  Still alive.  I'll keep you posted.

And then...the anger took me over.  Not for the crying clients who were devistated over their sweet dog. 

No.

The anger is at the woman who called me at 1:45 am to ask me to come in to the office to give her dog something to make it quit itching.

Um.

It took every ounce of strength not to utter the phrase "You're kidding me, right?"  She had the nerve to explain to me that her dog had been itching for several days and tonight it was just too much to handle because the dog kept shaking the bed when it scratched and was keeping her awake.

What about keeping ME awake, waiting for you at TWO FREAKING AM so that I can apply some Fronline to your dog and give it a steroid injection?!??!  In what UNIVERSE is it ok to (theoretically) wake someone up to tell them that your dog is itching???

So, now you know.  NEVER wake me up in the middle of the night to tell me your dog is keeping you awake with its flea allergy dermatitis.  I will tell you that is NOT an emergency and in the future can wait until regular business hours.

End of story.

Thank you for listening to my rant.  I'm done with the angry crying now.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you got a good nights sleep. I will try and forget your disdain for horses, though they do have a way of getting themselves in trouble! Friday is just around the corner.... hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Michelle I'm just reading this. Sounds like a terrible night. Kind of puts my bad days at work into perspective. So sad about the dog! I hope he makes it. And that lady made me so angry for you! I didn't know you could call a vet in the middle of the night for such a thing!! CRAZY. Enjoy your weekend! I miss you!!

    ReplyDelete