Saturday, February 12, 2011

Spring?

The temperature is supposed to be in the mid-fifties next week; Ray's Weather says that it's finally ok to start thinking about golfing again (yeah right) and that, miracle upon miracles, February and March are supposed to be mild.  You know what that means?  It means that people will start riding their horses again and having horse-related emergencies.  Ugh.  I suppose I'll take it as a trade-off for no more snow, the promise of a hot summer complete with buzzing cicadas and thunderstorms, and GREEN PLANTS (I've been planning my herb garden, front porch ferns and flowers all winter)!  This year, I'm excited about gaining some helpful advice from the country-folk that actually know about growing such things (ahem, Uncle Gerald, that means you).  I kill plants.  This is my ONE houseplant...as you can see, it did not survive the winter:


Inspired by the idea of spring and spring cleaning, I learned something new yesterday.  A couple of months ago, Aaron Ray was experimenting with hot wings in the oven, and unfortunately was unaware of the concept of a drip-pan.  The spicy grease from the wings dripped all down into my pristine oven, and ever since then, I've been fighting off the burning mess EVERY time I cook something in the oven.  So, in anticipation of having people over for supper today and not wanting my house to smell like burnt grease (again), I read up about the "self clean" feature of my oven and embarked on a cleaning adventure.  Now, I had spent most of the day cleaning the house, so it was all pretty and smelled like the almond oil I use to clean the floors...until the smoke started billowing out of the kitchen from the ultra-high burning temperatures that are apparently necessary to clean an oven.  This morning, while there is only charred ash in the bottom of my oven, my whole house smells odd.  So, in effort to combat the smell and get some more home improvement done, I painted the downstairs hallway:

The walls leading to the downstairs bedrooms and bath used to be a drab pinky-gray, and now are a bright, crisp Linen White.  I really like this color, it looks more aged than your average white.  It's a Benjamin Moore color, just fyi.

It is my weekend off however, so I made sure not to spend ALL day yesterday cleaning and being an exceptional housewife (haha).  I did get to spend some quality time with this fellow, who is happiest when I'm lounging around in bed:



Lastly, some interesting notes from work.  After reading my blog last week, the girls informed me that there were several additions to the "vet-vocabulary" that I needed to share with the rest of the world:

1.  Context - Jessica looking at a puppy's eye with a client - "I think maybe this puppy's eye is messed up because it's inborn.  It's like when I was at the hospital in the nursery and there was this baby that was inborn and every time you touched it, it broke out in a rash."  Supposed meaning for "inborn" - inbred.  I'm glad this one happened to Jess and not me because I just would have had no idea what to say in response.

2.  Context - Jessica on the phone with a client talking about her ataxic dog - "Well he's just so oriental.  I don't know what to do with him.  Should I bring him in?"  Supposed meaning for "oriental" - disoriented.

3.  Context - A client explaining to me her dog's injuries after a big dog vs. little dog event - "She's got a few places here and there but the main thing is that when she hollers she gets this big pone coming up in her side."  Supposed meaning for "pone" - large mass of tissue.  Side note:  "holler" is a word commonly used in the North Carolinian mountains.  If you hear me say it, it's only because I hear it on average a million times a day. 

4.  Context - A client with a dog in heart failure trying to tell me that there's nothing wrong with his dog - "Welp, he eats good and drinks good.  He ain't got no trouble making water at all."  Supposed meaning for "making water" - urinating.

5.  Context - Beagle owner who uses his dogs for hunting rabbits - "Doc, my dog here, he ain't got no energy no more.  He's just always sainterin' around."  Supposed meaning for "sainterin'" (I had to ask my husband about this one) - to walk at a leisurely pace.  Now, I believe this word has it's origins in the actual English language and may be just an extreme form of the southern/mountain dialect.   The dictionary applies this same definition to the word "sauntering". 

Finally, here's one of the patients that came in last week.  In theory, I should have known what to do for this animal since I took a semester-long class on Wildlife Medicine while I was in Vet School, but all I really knew was who to call so that someone could come pick this beautiful fellow (lady?) up and get him (her?) well:


That's all for now!  There's lots left to get done before this evening, so off I go.  Happy Valentines Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment