Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Just a little bit of life.

I spent this past weekend fielding an indeterminable number of emergencies.  If there was ever a day that I wanted to sit down on my front porch and cry a little cry, it would have been Sunday.  Here's the play-by-play:

6:00 am:  Woken up (2 hours before my alarm was set to go off) by my mom's dogs who I am babysitting while she is away visiting friends/family.  I do mean babysitting in the most literal sense of the word; somehow, I had forgotten how high maintenance some animals can be when you're forced to live with them.
6:30 am: Again, woken up by my mom's dogs.
6:45 am: Mom's dogs howling.
7:00 am: Yelling at my mom's dogs to be quiet from bed with pillow and blanket mashed over my ears.
7:45 am:  Phone rings.  Horse colic coming into the clinic.  Stomach immediately feels like a 50 lb. brick and entire body turns ice-cold.  Mild panic ensues (read: my experience level in matters of the horse gastrointestinal tract could gain some bolstering).
8:15 am:  Kiss Aaron Ray goodbye as he leaves for Sunday School
8:30 am: Attempt to leave for the clinic.  Truck battery is dead.  Call Aaron Ray who is already in town and can't come home to rescue me.  Moderate panic ensues.
8:45 am:  Father-in-law comes over and jumps truck battery.  I could have kissed the ground he walked on.
8:46 am:  Leave for the office.  Realize I have a sinus headache, sore throat, hot flashes and cold chills.
Between 9:30 am and 8:30 pm:
Colic (where Jessica, AKA horse-vet extraordinaire came and held my hand)
Torn dewclaw (NOT an emergency, but somehow I couldn't convince the owner of that)
Vomiting/diarrhea (pancreatitis) in a mean dog
Vomiting/diarrhea (parvo) in a mean dog
Vomiting/diarrhea (parvo) in a cute little puppy
Neck injury in an old dog
Sick Calf
Donkey with ligament damage
Vaginal prolapse in a cow
Bloated Cow
Colic from 7:45 am starts having seizures and dies in front of owner.  Owner starts wailing uncontrollably.  I feel like I want to pass out from exhaustion but feel confident that I did all I could for the horse.

I was on call last night as well but thankfully only had to field a couple of phone calls and the full night's sleep has done wonders for my upper respiratory infection.  My full night's sleep has also enabled me to look back on this weekend with a little more perspective: first, I survived it, which proves that God was listening when I kept asking Him to give me strength.  Second, I had great help.  Ashley, the ever-trusty vet assistant was there along with me to hear the phone ring almost every half hour and to make sure we ate at least a couple of times that day.  Third, I took call for my boss this past weekend because he wanted to take a trip to go rabbit hunting.  I won't be doing it again next year (sorry, Jess).

So, tonight, I'm lounging around by the computer because my poor husband is posted up in the bedroom with some kind of stomach illness that includes vomiting.  This is what me lounging around by the computer looks like:
Yes, that's Lucky, sleeping under the desk, and Daisy May, who would rather be outside playing with Bella, which looks like this:

With that, I think I hear ARay snoring...which means it's safe to sneak into the bedroom and grab a few things so I can make a cozy, disease-free nook for myself in the living room.  Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. Whew! I'm tired just reading this! You are made of tough stuff, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete