Saturday, February 5, 2011

Being a vet is fun...

...And I can still say this after a day of working more than 5 hours even after we closed (although, I will probably take it back if I get called in again tonight).

There are many, many poignant, funny, nerve-racking, maddening, frustrating and fulfilling things I encounter a day in my interactions with clients.  It's truly amazing how different it is from what I imagined, even as realistic as I thought I was about it - the interactions I have with animals are a big deal, but what I do with people means more than anything.  Recently, I've been talking with the girls at work and discussing our new "vet-client vocabulary" which I didn't even realize existed even though I hear some of these words or phrases multiple times a day, every day...so I'm going to share a few gems with you all. 

1.  Context - Jessica (another vet I work with) on phone with client - "I mean, you could see EVERY rib in this horse's body - it was just immaculate."  Supposed meaning for "immaculate" - emaciated.

2.  Context - Looking at cow with farmer - "Well Doc, just this morning I noticed this one looking pretty ganted up."  Supposed meaning for "ganted up" - sunken in at the level of the flank.

3.  Context - Examining a coonhound with a hunter - "Seems like he just don't want to eat today, but he seems peart enough otherwise."  Supposed meaning for "peart" - bright, alert, responsive.

4.  Context - Sobbing woman with dog - "I just, well I can't excuse it, this is my brother's dog and he isn't taking care of it right.  I saw it yesterday and I couldn't get over how emancipated it was!"  Supposed meaning for "emancipated" - emaciated.  Apparently this one is a toughie.

5.  Context - Old timer on the phone asking about his wife's beloved chihuahua - "My old lady says this here dog of hers just ain't doin' right."  Supposed meaning for "ain't doin' right" - not acting like itself (and, one of the hardest parts of my job is explaining to a person that no matter how many times they tell me how ain't doing right their dog is over the phone, I'm not going to be able to diagnose what's wrong with it without seeing it and they'll just need to bring it in to the office).

6. Context - Emergency phone call at 8 pm on a Friday night - "I need some advice..." Supposed meaning for "I need some advice" - I have no money, I do not want to pay an emergency fee, and I just want you to tell me some home remedies for whatever animal it is I'm about to describe to you and not charge me anything for your time, no matter how long I keep you on the phone.  This meaning also applies to the phrase "I have a question..."

I'm sure there are more...but I can't seem to recall some of the others right now.  There will be more funny ones over the course of my (hopefully) 35+ year career...I'll just have to keep you updated.

Now for some sweet ones:


This one almost made me cry a little:  from an owner to her dog that was hit by a car...

Incidentally, "Max" is one of the most difficult dogs in the world to work with.  But he loves his Lily very much and will let her pet him even when everyone else has to be on guard around him.

1 comment:

  1. Ack! This is so funny, sad, and wonderful! Keep 'em coming!!

    ReplyDelete